[Python-Dev] CVS feature wish ? :)

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 17:39:40 +0200

On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 09:02:00AM -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > > My fix to the URL accidentally also switched back to the "pre" module.
> > > Undo that!

> > This kind of thing is one of the reasons I wish 'cvs commit' would give you
> > the entire patch you're about to commit in the log-message-edit screen, as
> > CVS: comments, rather than just the modified files. It would also help with
> > remembering what the patch was supposed to do ;) Is this possible with CVS,
> > other than an 'EDITOR' that does this for you ?

> Actually, I have made it a habit to *always* do a cvs diff before I
> commit, for exactly this reason.

Well, so do I, but none the less I'd like it if the patch was included in
the comment :-) I occasionally forget what I was doing (17 xterms, two of
which are running 20-session screens (6 of which are dedicated to Python,
and 3 to Mailman :), two irc channels with people asking for work-related
help or assistance, one telephone with a 'group' number of same, and enough
room around me for 5 or 6 people to stand around and ask questions... :)
Also, I sometimes wonder about the patch while I'm writing the comment. (Did
I do that right ? Didn't I forget about this ? etc.) Having it included as a
comment would be perfect, for me.

I guess I'll look at the hook thing Trent mailed about, and Subversion, if I
find the time for it :P

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>