[Python-Dev] #pragmas in Python source code

Fredrik Lundh Fredrik Lundh" <effbot@telia.com
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 16:27:53 +0200

Fred Drake wrote:
>  > While originally only the encoding used within the quotes of
>  > u"..." was targetted (on the i18n sig), there has now been
>  > some discussion on this list about whether to move forward
>  > in a whole new direction: that of allowing whole Python scripts
>=20
>   I had thought this was still an issue for interpretation of string
> contents, and really only meaningful when converting the source
> representations of Unicode strings to the internal represtenation.

why restrict the set of possible source encodings to ASCII
compatible 8-bit encodings?

(or are there really authoring systems out there that can use
different encodings for different parts of the file?)

>   I see no need to change the language definition in general.  Unless
> we *really* want to impose those evil trigraph sequences from C!  ;)

sorry, but I don't see the connection.

</F>