[Python-Dev] #pragmas in Python source code

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 10:35:37 -0400 (EDT)

Fredrik Lundh writes:
 > why restrict the set of possible source encodings to ASCII
 > compatible 8-bit encodings?

  I'm not suggesting that.  I just don't see any call to change the
language definition (such as allowing additional characters in NAME
tokens).  I don't mind whatsoever if the source is stored in UCS-2,
and the tokenizer does need to understand that to create the right
value for Unicode strings specified as u'...' literals.

 > (or are there really authoring systems out there that can use
 > different encodings for different parts of the file?)

  Not that I know of, and I doubt I'd want to see the result!

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	  <fdrake at acm.org>