[Python-Dev] #pragmas in Python source code

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 09:38:36 -0400 (EDT)

M.-A. Lemburg writes:
 > The idea is to make life a little easier for programmers
 > who's native script is not easily writable using ASCII, e.g.
 > the whole Asian world.
 >
 > While originally only the encoding used within the quotes of
 > u"..." was targetted (on the i18n sig), there has now been
 > some discussion on this list about whether to move forward
 > in a whole new direction: that of allowing whole Python scripts

  I had thought this was still an issue for interpretation of string
contents, and really only meaningful when converting the source
representations of Unicode strings to the internal represtenation.
  I see no need to change the language definition in general.  Unless
we *really* want to impose those evil trigraph sequences from C!  ;)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	  <fdrake at acm.org>