[Python-Dev] CVS: python/dist/src/Python sysmodule.c,2.59,2.60

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 13:11:19 -0400 (EDT)

Barry A. Warsaw writes:
 > I can imagine a remote possibility of more than 9 pre-releases
 > (counting from 1), but not more than 15 (since PY_RELEASE_SERIAL has
 > to fit in 4 bits), so at the very least, make that string 'a02',
 > 'a03', etc.

  Doesn't this further damage the human readability of the value?  I
thought that was an important reason to break it up from
sys.hexversion.  (Note also that you're not just saying more than 9
pre-releases, but more than 9 at any one of alpha, beta, or release
candidate stages.  1-9 at each stage is already 27 pre-release
packages.)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	  <fdrake at acm.org>