[Python-Dev] CVS: python/dist/src/Python sysmodule.c,2.59,2.60

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 13:04:40 -0400 (EDT)

    AMK> Fredrik Lundh writes:
    >> Define version_info to be a tuple (major, minor, micro, level);
    >> level is a string "a2", "b1", "c1", or '' for a final release.
    >> maybe level should be chosen so that version_info for a final
    >> release is larger than version_info for the corresponding beta
    >> ?

    AMK> 'a2' < 'b1' < 'c1' < 'final'

Another reason I don't like the strings:

'b9' > 'b10' :(

I can imagine a remote possibility of more than 9 pre-releases
(counting from 1), but not more than 15 (since PY_RELEASE_SERIAL has
to fit in 4 bits), so at the very least, make that string 'a02',
'a03', etc.

-Barry