[Python-Dev] fwd. from Paul Prescod

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 13:17:53 -0500 (EST)

This is a forwarded e-mail from the XML-SIG mailing list, in which
Paul makes some good points.  Some context: I've been arguing against
adding more XML stuff to the base Python distribution, because 1) it's
bloat for those people don't care about XML, and 2) the Distutils is
supposed to fix this by making installing things easier.  Paul's
response, below, has shaken my conviction a bit (*only* a bit,
though).  If it's deemed valuable, perhaps the XML-SIG could
concentrate on the minimal set of parser + SAX + DOM that could be
included in 1.6.

Please join the XML-SIG to follow the specifics of this thread
further, as it relates only to XML.  As a more general philosophical
question for python-dev: do we want to add things to 1.6 following the
"batteries included" philosophy?  Or should we wave in the direction
of the distutils and say they'll fix the problem?  (In which case they
should be given high priority, as in "1.6 doesn't ship until they're
done".)

And after all, why should I go to bed every night? Sleep is only a habit.
    -- Cornelius Van Horne