[Mailman-Users] Internationalizing administrative aliases

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun May 13 07:41:27 EDT 2018

On 5/12/18 11:40 PM, Rubeno Fernández wrote:
> Hello all,
> I'd like to know whether it's possible to internationalize addresses for list
> control, like mylist-owner, mylist-subscribe, mylist-unsubscribe...
>
> I tried editing the file /usr/lib/mailman/data/aliases and then running /usr/
> lib/mailman/bin/genaliases, but it doesn't work, even after restarting the
> server the default addresses are still the only ones valid. I should add that
> the new addresses had only ASCII characters.

The above doesn't work because running /usr/lib/mailman/bin/genaliases
will rebuild /usr/lib/mailman/data/aliases and undo all your changes.
What you need to run after editing /usr/lib/mailman/data/aliases is

postalias /usr/lib/mailman/data/aliases

to rebuild the /usr/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db file, but this is
fragile because running genaliases or equivalent at any time in the
future will again undo your changes.

You need to make a second set, e.g., /usr/lib/mailman/data/aliases2 and
/usr/lib/mailman/data/aliases2.db with the same ownership and
permissions as the existing ones, perhaps by

cd /usr/lib/mailman/data/
cp -a aliases aliases2
cp -a aliases.db aliases2.db

make your changes to aliases2 and run 'postalias aliases2' to update
aliases2.db and then add hash:/usr/lib/mailman/data/aliases2 to your
Postfix config.