[Mailman-Users] Installing Mailman on a Debian system with Apache 2.4.2, CGI error!

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun May 6 23:10:23 EDT 2018

On 05/06/2018 07:16 PM, Jayson Smith wrote:

> ScriptAlias /mailman/ /usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/
> <Directory /usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/>
>     AllowOverride None
>     Options ExecCGI
>     Require all granted
> </Directory>

This looks correct.

> The problem is that the CGI isn't working. If I go to
> http://temphostname/mailman/listinfo/mailman for example, Apache says
> /usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/listinfo/mailman doesn't exist. If I just go to
> /mailman/listinfo I get an Elf binary thrown at me, rather than the page
> saying there are no advertised lists. If I do the same thing from the
> server using the Lynx web browser, I get the same binary thrown at me,
> with a page title, "Mailman CGI error!" It sounds to me like Apache
> 2.4.2 isn't seeing that /usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin is, in fact, CGI
> scripts, and is trying to treat them like regular files. Has something
> else changed between Apache versions?

Is Suexec enabled? That could explain it. If that isn't it, are the
various compiled wrappers in /usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/ all in Mailman's
group (probably 'mailman' if you installed from source, but Debian likes
'list') and permissions like -rwxr-sr-x (o+x is I think the important
one here).

And are there any other Directory blocks in the apache config for /,
/usr, /usr/lib or /usr/lib/mailman?