[Mailman-Users] Installing Mailman on a Debian system with Apache 2.4.2, CGI error!

Jayson Smith jaybird at bluegrasspals.com
Sun May 6 22:16:16 EDT 2018

Hi,

This is a weird one. I think of myself as knowing my way around Mailman
pretty well for a user/admin/installer/upgrader. I'm upgrading to a
Debian 9 system from CentOS 6.5. Debian's Apache configs took a bit of
getting used to, but I actually like them better. It uses Apache 2.4.2.

I wanted to install Mailman from source, since the latest version is
2.1.26, Debian has 2.1.23, and IIRC that's too old to have some screen
reader optimizations I want. So I built, installed, all working well. I
copied over the Mailman config from my CentOS system to use in Apache,
making some changes so it'd work under 2.4.2. Here it is:

--------------------

#
#  httpd configuration settings for use with mailman.
#

ScriptAlias /mailman/ /usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/
<Directory /usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/>
     AllowOverride None
     Options ExecCGI
     Require all granted
</Directory>

Alias /pipermail/ /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/
<Directory /var/lib/mailman/archives/public>
     Options Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks
     AllowOverride None
     Require all granted
     AddDefaultCharset Off
</Directory>

# Uncomment the following line, to redirect queries to /mailman to the
# listinfo page (recommended).

# RedirectMatch ^/mailman[/]*$ /mailman/listinfo