[Mailman-Users] Cascading lists

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Jun 3 22:01:50 EDT 2018

On 06/02/2018 11:53 PM, Rubén Fernández Asensio wrote:
> Hello all,
> I'm a new list administrator and a bit lost among Mailman's many
> features. Could you please give some advice?
> I'm trying to implement an announcement list and an unmoderated
> discussion list, and having the second receive all mail sent to the
> first one. The announcement list will prevent everybody but a few
> addresses to post, and will attach a personalized footer to every post
> with a link to the subscriber's option page. The discussion list will
> attach its own generalized footer.

See this FAQ article for advice on setting up an announcement list
<https://wiki.list.org/x/4030685>.

> In sum, I want a single place to manage permissions to send
> announcements to both lists. I don't care about duplicates, as I want
> people to actively unsubscribe from the announcement list if they've
> joined both by mistake. However, it would be nice if the announcements
> received by the discussion list wouldn't have any personalized footer.

OK.

> Also, I want subscribers of the discussion list to be able to send
> replies to the announcement into the discussion list itself, whereas
> subscribers of the announcement list will get their own 'Reply-to' heading.
> What's the best setup to achieve this? Umbrella lists, sibling lists, or
> something else?

There are pluses and minuses to both umbrella lists and sibling lists.
There are FAQs you should read if you haven't already. They are
<https://wiki.list.org/x/4030574> and <https://wiki.list.org/x/4030540>.

I'm going to assume that neither list will have digest members. That
adds an additional complication.

Your choices are:

1) Add the discussion list address to regular_include_lists of the
announce list. If you do this everyone will get announcement list posts
from the announcement list. These will have the announcement list's
footer. The members of the discussion list who aren't members of the
announce list will get the post from the announce list. It appears that
you want to munge Reply-To: in some way on both lists (I'll refrain from
giving my opinion on this). Here, the message received by the discussion
list members who aren't announce list members will have the footer and

2) Subscribe the discussion list to the announce list. This means
members of either list will receive the posts to the announce list from
their own list with its footer and Reply-To: and members of both lists
will receive the post from both lists. This seems more like what you
want, but there are two kinds of issues.

Issue #1 is acceptance of posts to the announce list by the discussion
list. This is discussed in the FAQ at <https://wiki.list.org/x/4030574>.

Issue #2 is an Umbrella list is a list whose members are all other
lists. Lists with both individuals and one or more lists as members are
an in between configuration that isn't well supported. Your issue is
whether or not to set the announce list as an umbrella list. If you
don't, anyone can request a password reminder and it will be sent to the
entire discussion list. Because of this, you can set the announce list
umbrella_list to Yes. This, at least with default umbrella_member_suffix
will send these to the owner of the discussion list instead, but it also
means that individual members of the announce list can't get password
reminders or subscription confirmation requests.