[Mailman-Users] List adds information to sender's name

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Sep 19 15:37:50 EDT 2017

At Tue, 19 Sep 2017 19:37:49 +0200 luscheina at yahoo.de wrote:

> Hi
>
> On a list using Mailman 2.1.23 (on cpanel 66.0.23) I have noticed the
> following effects:
>
> Most messages appear with the author's name and in the "From:"-field in
> the same form as the author has set up in his mail application. However,
> some show additional information like "Realname via Listname".
>
> I have analyzed some of those messages, and it appears that this only
> happens when the author puts his own address in the "Cc:"-field (=3D sends
> a copy to himself).  Then I have tried to double-check the behaviour and
> put my own address in a message to the list.
>
> Surprisingly, the message was delivered directly to me, but the list
> never sent it to me so I could not check whether "...via listname" was
> also appended to my "From:"-address. I have seen the message in the
> list's archive; there it is without "...via listname".
>
> Is this normal behaviour? Can the list be configured to not append the
> "...via listname"  information to these messages? And why do I not
> receive my message via the list but only directly?

This latter is controled by a subscriber option (last option):

"Avoid duplicate copies of messages?
Avoid duplicate copies of messages?

When you are listed explicitly in the To: or Cc: headers of a list message,
you can opt to not receive another copy from the mailing list. Select Yes to
avoid receiving copies from the mailing list; select No to receive copies.

If the list has member personalized messages enabled, and you elect to receive
copies, every copy will have a X-Mailman-Copy: yes header added to it. "

Default for this option is "Yes".

The From: munging is part of the DMARC handling (General Admin Options):

"Replace the sender with the list address to conform with policies like ADSP
and DMARC. It replaces the poster's address in the From: header with the list
address and adds the poster to the Reply-To: header, but the anonymous_list
and Reply-To: header munging settings below take priority. If setting this to
Yes, it is advised to set the MTA to DKIM sign all emails.
If this is set to Wrap Message, just wrap the message in an outer message
From: the list with Content-Type: message/rfc822.
(Edit from_is_list)"

You are seeing the "Mung From" option behaviour.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933