[Mailman-Users] List adds information to sender's name

Christian F Buser luscheina at yahoo.de
Tue Sep 19 13:37:49 EDT 2017

Hi

On a list using Mailman 2.1.23 (on cpanel 66.0.23) I have noticed the
following effects:

Most messages appear with the author's name and in the "From:"-field in
the same form as the author has set up in his mail application. However,
some show additional information like "Realname via Listname".

I have analyzed some of those messages, and it appears that this only
happens when the author puts his own address in the "Cc:"-field (= sends
a copy to himself).  Then I have tried to double-check the behaviour and
put my own address in a message to the list.

Surprisingly, the message was delivered directly to me, but the list
never sent it to me so I could not check whether "...via listname" was
also appended to my "From:"-address. I have seen the message in the
list's archive; there it is without "...via listname".

Is this normal behaviour? Can the list be configured to not append the
"...via listname"  information to these messages? And why do I not
receive my message via the list but only directly?

Thank you for all ideas,
Christian

--
Christian F. Buser, Hohle Gasse 6, CH-5507 Mellingen (Switzerland)
Hilfe für Strassenkinder in Ghana: http://www.chance-for-children.org

.