[Mailman-Users] individual moderation notices stopped suddenly

Larry Kuenning larry at qhpress.org
Sun Sep 3 14:28:00 EDT 2017

Currently running Mailman 2.1.9 with a low-volume moderated list called
kuenning-relatives at qhpress.org.  I'm supposed to receive notifications
of posts to be moderated at kuenning-relatives-owner at qhpress.org, both
as single notifications as the posts come in and as daily batch
notifications (normally at 8:00 AM) if there are any accumulated posts
from the day before.

On Aug. 31 I received, as usual, a single-post notification,
 > Subject: Kuenning-Relatives post from [user at domain] requires approval
which I acted on promptly.

On Sept. 1 at 8:00 AM I received a daily summary notification,
 > Subject: 1 Kuenning-Relatives moderator request(s) waiting
covering one post for which there had _not_ been a single-post
notification (not the above post but a reply to it).

Again this morning, Sept. 3, I got another summary,
 > Subject: 4 Kuenning-Relatives moderator request(s) waiting
covering 4 posts for _none_ of which there had been any single-post
notification.

This sudden and unexpected loss of the immediate single-post
notifications naturally makes it harder to moderate the posts in a
timely fashion.

No changes were made to the list or the mailman setup during the
relevant time period.

Where should I look in the mailman logs for clues about what's wrong?  I
tried cd-ing to the log directory (/var/log/mailman) and grepping for
the notification address kuenning-relatives-owner at qhpress.org, but
nothing turned up.

P.S.  I know I'd be better off if I could upgrade from 2.1.9 to
something that can cope with DMARC, but this is a Plesk setup and I'm
afraid to mess with it for fear of breaking something.  Any advice about
this would be welcome but isn't the main subject of this query.

--
Larry Kuenning
larry at qhpress.org