[Mailman-Users] Unable to send emails with mailman/postfix

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Mar 6 14:06:57 EST 2017

On 03/06/2017 10:33 AM, Scott Jones wrote:

> The Google message is just the bounce back I receive informing me that
> the message could not be delivered. It seemed to be pointing me toward
> an smtp problem. The virtual server itself is just on a Ubuntu machine.
>
> I don't see anything in any of the logs you mention, so it seems you're
> right that mailman and postfix are not talking. When I sign up for a new
> list, I do get the confirmation email from mailman, so yes it is running.

So your issue is that mail sent to Mailman is not delivered to Mailman.
I.e. the non-delivery notice you receive is about the message you sent
to Mailman and mail from Mailman, e.g., confirmations, is delivered.

This is actually not surprising as the
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mailman> document you followed is
totally f****d when it comes to setting up delivery from Postfix to Mailman.

It conflates delivery via aliases with delivery via the unsupported,
3rd-party postfix_to_mailman.py script.

See <https://wiki.list.org/x/15564817>, and decide which delivery method
you want to use, and if you still have issues, we will try to help, but
be aware that we are much happier supporting the standard delivery via
aliases rather than postfix_to_mailman.py.

Also:
1) Please keep this on the list.
2) If you have further DSNs from google regarding delivery to a list,
the actual content of the DSN would be helpful.