[Mailman-Users] Unable to send emails with mailman/postfix

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Mar 6 14:55:54 EST 2017

On 03/06/2017 11:39 AM, Scott Jones wrote:

> I have followed the integration methods you've pointed me towards. The
> only thing I found was that I did not have a 'mailman' user installed
> along with my mailman installation for changing the ownership of the
> 'aliases' files.
>
> I've just received another DSN. The contents are:
>

> The response from the remote server was:
>
> The recipient server did not accept our requests to connect. Learn more
> at https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7720
> <https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7720> [[server FQDN] [IP]: timed
> out]
>

> Final-Recipient: rfc822; [mail list address]
> Action: failed
> Diagnostic-Code: smtp; The recipient server did not accept our requests
> to connect. Learn more at https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7720
> <https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7720>
>  [[server FQDN] [IP]: timed out]
> Last-Attempt-Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 11:31:34 -0800 (PST)

Assuming Postfix is running and listening

sudo netstat -ltnp|grep master

should show things like

tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:25              0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN      2781/master

and maybe

tcp6       0      0 :::25                   :::*
LISTEN      2781/master

If that's the case, this appears to be a firewall issue. You are not
able to access port 25 on the server from outside. What do you get if
from outside the server you do

telnet [server FQDN] 25

If you get an immediate connection refused, either Postfix isn't
listening or the firewall is rejecting port 25 connects. More likely,
and consistent with your DSN, you get a timeout which means the firewall
is dropping packets to port 25.

(Please reply-all to keep this on the list.)