[Mailman-Users] How to actively read the list online?

Lucio Chiappetti lucio at lambrate.inaf.it
Fri Jul 8 12:44:47 EDT 2016

On Fri, 8 Jul 2016, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 7/7/16 3:33 PM, Richard Johnson wrote:

>> Is there any way to setup a web page which would automatically update
>> to show the most recent messages in the archive?

> It depends on whether the list's archives are public or not. [...] For
> private archives, you would need an authentication scheme which would
> presumably need to talk to Mailman.

I have been participating in discussion lists both with public and private
archives (as well as in usenet newsgroups :-)) and managing some of them
locally or remotely  *using the mailman native archiving*  and I do not
see any difference or difficulties between the two.

Usually the archive (all those which I have seen are by month, and can be
sorted by thread, date or author) is updated as soon as I receive a copy
of a post.

It is true that in case of private archives the users will have to
autenticate on the mailman site. I.e. they have to be mailing list
members.

So your problem is that some former users do not want to receive a mail
but JUST access the archives ?  They could be members of the mailing list
set to "NO MAIL", couldn't they ?

(I have a small, 25 or so members list, where 22 are full (voting)
members, and 3 are observers (former members). All receive normal
messages, but when I issue a call-for-votes I set the 3 observers to NO
MAIL, send the message, then reset them to normal mail reception.  This
simply prevents the observers to send me back votes which will not be
counted anyhow.)