[Mailman-Users] How to actively read the list online?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Jul 12 03:09:31 EDT 2016

Lucio Chiappetti writes:

 > So your problem is that some former users do not want to receive a mail
 > but JUST access the archives ?

No.

 > They could be members of the mailing list
 > set to "NO MAIL", couldn't they ?

Yes, they will be set up as "no mail".

The problem is that a typical web forum these days is not a static
page, it's a web app that is self-refreshing.  So as a forumn user,
you have a window or tab opened on the forum, you go to bed, and in
the morning the page is 11 posts longer than when you left.  Pipermail
doesn't do that for you since it serves static pages.  I'm not sure
how easy it would be to have HyperKitty (Mailman 3's bundled archiver)
do it, but I don't think it does now -- historically our use case is
to provide URLs for people to refer to later.

Yes, it's very easy to refresh a page (just one click or hotkey).  The
problem is that these users are not going to *remember* to do that
because that "forum" will be the odd one for them.  You may not think
that's important, but I imagine the OP does.

I'm not going to try to change your mind (I'm pretty much a BOFH on
several of my mailing lists, sometimes that's the right way to go),
but we're here on Mailman-Users to help him get the effect he wants.
We don't want to tell him he "should" be willing to ask his users to
change their habits.

Steve