[Mailman-Users] Improper token substitution? Or something else?

Lindsay Haisley fmouse at fmp.com
Tue Feb 9 20:25:23 EST 2016

On Tue, 2016-02-09 at 17:07 -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> I.e., in the latest 2.1.21rc2 release, Postfix/Mailman integration will
> create these virtual mappings. You may need to run bin/genaliases after
> upgrade. The NEWS file says
>
> - Mailman-Postfix integration will now add mailman at domain entries in
>   data/virtual-mailman for each domain in POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS
>   which is a host_name of a list.  This is so the addresses which are
>   exposed on admin and listinfo overview pages of virtual domains will
>   be deliverable.  (LP: #1459236)
>
> For other MTAs or Postfix without Mailman-Postfix integration, you're on
> your own for virtual mappings anyway. The need should probably be
> documented, but where? The two places that come to mind are in
> Defaults.py in the "Virtual domains" section or in the FAQ. Thoughts?

Hmmm. The MTA here is Courier-MTA. The virtual domains structure is
elegant in its simplicity, and very flexible.

~vmail/domains/list_hostname.tld/alias/.courier-listname - handles
redirection for listname at list_hostname.tld. Similarly,
~vmail/domains/list_hosthame.tld/alias/.courier-listname-default handles
everything else addressed to listname-whatever at list_hostname.tld, e.g.
listname-request at list_hostname.tld. It does this by redirecting to
~mailman/bin/courier-to-mailman.py, which I wrote based on
qmail-to-mailman.py and which is now part of the contrib section for
Mailman 2.x.

I'm not conversant with Postfix, but perhaps I can use this feature to
solve this problem.

Back to the drawing board ....... :(

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "The first casualty when
FMP Computer Services |         war comes is truth."