[Mailman-Users] Improper token substitution? Or something else?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Feb 9 20:07:01 EST 2016

On 02/09/2016 04:32 PM, Lindsay Haisley wrote:

> "If you are having trouble using the lists, please contact
> mailman at list_hostname.tld." [list_hostname.tld is any list's FQDN]
>
> "mailman" is not the name of the list for which "list_hostname.tld" is
> the FQDN of the list, and this address will bounce.
> This is happening on two different Mailman installations, running 2.1.18
> and 2.1.18-1.
>
> Do I have a misconfiguration here? The comments in the source indicate
> that these token replacements insert _site_ information rather than
> _list_ information, so maybe this is the expected behavior. Do I need to
> set up a "mailman" address alias for _each_ virtual host on the system
> so that these addresses will work? This is doable, but is it documented?

If you are using Postfix, see the bug at
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/1459236>.

I.e., in the latest 2.1.21rc2 release, Postfix/Mailman integration will
create these virtual mappings. You may need to run bin/genaliases after
upgrade. The NEWS file says

- Mailman-Postfix integration will now add mailman at domain entries in
  data/virtual-mailman for each domain in POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS
  which is a host_name of a list.  This is so the addresses which are
  exposed on admin and listinfo overview pages of virtual domains will
  be deliverable.  (LP: #1459236)

For other MTAs or Postfix without Mailman-Postfix integration, you're on
your own for virtual mappings anyway. The need should probably be
documented, but where? The two places that come to mind are in
Defaults.py in the "Virtual domains" section or in the FAQ. Thoughts?