[Mailman-Users] footer format

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Dec 13 01:03:36 EST 2016

On 12/12/2016 02:49 PM, Kim, DongInn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to keep the footer format (or layout)? In the most emails, the footer format is fine but when a user uses digital signature (pgp or S/MIME), it surely breaks the format.
> It seems that it is possible that the format is broken regardless of the signature issue but I can not track down this case.
>
> For example, the broken format looks like this:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/hwukqz2iuqa18cg/Screenshot%202016-12-12%2017.47.16.png?dl=0
>
> The right format looks like this:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/7tqfdxvjb6hxqbg/Screenshot%202016-12-12%2017.48.09.png?dl=0
>
> Maybe, can we use <pre> tag around the footer for the html format of email?

Standard Mailman never puts the footer in an HTML message part. If the
message is a single part text/plain message, the footer is appended to
the text/plain message. Otherwise it is added as a separate text/plain part.

It could be in your case that unsigned messages are single part
text/plain messages and signatures make the message multipart/signed,
but even so, the formatting of the footer should not be changed.

The article at <https://wiki.list.org/x/4030707> has more on this. It
also has some material about non-standard (and not recommended) patches.
Is your Mailman patched in any way to deal with footers and to put them
in HTML parts?