[Mailman-Users] How to get the senders email address in the custom footer?

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Sun Sep 20 17:20:31 CEST 2015

In a message of Sat, 19 Sep 2015 07:58:59 -0400, Arlen Raasch writes:
>I have recently acquired the responsibility of maintaining a small
>listserver with about 1000 users.
>
>We are using version 2.1.16 of Mailman.
>
>The emails that currently are sent out via the listserv server have headers
>that include the original sender's email address as the "From:" address.
>Yahoo's and Aol's DMARC policy causes these to bounce as our server is not
>one they recognize.
>
>I have seen many posts regarding this problem, but no actual solutions that
>told me what I should do.
>
>This is not my area of expertise, just something that dropped in my lap.
>
>A strategy that makes some sense to me is to take ownership of the emails
>by identifying the listserv as the From and Reply-To addresses, but
>including a custom footer in the email that exposes the actual sender's
>email address.
>
>This should avoid Yahoo and Aol rejecting the email due to  DMARC, as Yahoo
>and Aol will not be asked for their opinion as to what should or should not
>be done with this email.
>
>I set the annonomous_list setting to yes under general options, and sent a
>test email.  The email went out fine, but nothing in the default email
>footer allowed others to know who actually sent the email out.
>
>I attempted to change the default non-digest footer to include the sender's
>address, but did not succeed.  It appears that this info is regarding the
>recipient,not the sender's info.  I.E. user xxx at mydomain.com sends to
>yyy at listserver.com, zzz at hisdomain.com is also a member of the listserv and
>receives an email, but the footer to the email does not show xxx at mydomain,
>just info about zzz at hisdomain.com.  I tried the user_address,
>user_delivered_to, and user_name variables but none contained info
>regarding the sender.
>
>So, the question is how to get the sender's email address in the footer.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>-Arlen Raasch

The relevant pages to read are:
http://wiki.list.org/DEV/DMARC

You will be happier if you can upgrade to 2.1.18

You don't have to worry that Reply-To: should be munged to be the list.
You  re-write the From: and take control of it there, and then you
stick the original poster's address to the Reply-To:

If you are already munging the Reply-To: address to accomplish
something else -- such as all replies go to the list, or all replies
go to some_other_list then changing may irritate your users, but I
assume you are not, or at any rate the irritation level will be
less if you use Reply-To: to hold the original sender's address,
since the scheme you outlined above involved rewriting Reply-To: anyway.

The advantage of this scheme is that people who have sane, more recent
that the 1980s, sorts of mail readers, will find that replying to the
sender works without them having to do anything.  They will reply, --
their mail reader will interpret the reply as 'reply to the sender,
unless there is a Reply-To:, in which case send it there instead'
because all mailers are supposed to do this ... and since there will
be a Reply-To: which points at the original posters original address,
that is where the reply will go.  Which is where you want it to.

Laura