[Mailman-Users] How to get the senders email address in the custom footer?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Sep 20 17:49:26 CEST 2015

Have you seen the FAQ article at <http://wiki.list.org/x/17891458>.

> This is not my area of expertise, just something that dropped in my lap.
>
> A strategy that makes some sense to me is to take ownership of the emails
> by identifying the listserv as the From and Reply-To addresses, but
> including a custom footer in the email that exposes the actual sender's
> email address.

Mailman has various mitigation strategies described in the above
referenced FAQ article. With Mailman 2.1.16, you are limited to munging
the From: header on all list posts, not just those From: domains that
publish DMARC reject and optionally quarantine policies.

2.1.18 adds this latter ability and removes the requirement to add

ALLOW_FROM_IS_LIST = Yes

to mm_cfg.py to enable the from_is_list setting. 2.1.19 has a few minor
bug fixes to the features.

> I set the annonomous_list setting to yes under general options, and sent a
> test email.  The email went out fine, but nothing in the default email
> footer allowed others to know who actually sent the email out.

Correct. While anonymous_list = Yes will avoid DMARC issues, that's not
what it is designed for.

> I attempted to change the default non-digest footer to include the sender's
> address, but did not succeed.  It appears that this info is regarding the
> recipient,not the sender's info.

Correct again. There are no footer replacement variables relating to the
sender.

> So, the question is how to get the sender's email address in the footer.

You would need to modify the source code, but if you have the ability to
do that, a much better solution is to upgrade to the current 2.1.20
release <https://launchpad.net/mailman/+download> or even the head of
the development branch at
<https://code.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.1> and use the
dmarc_moderation_action settings for this.

Note that Mailman's strategy is to put the original From: in Reply-To:
or in some cases in 2.1.19+ in Cc: to both expose the address and make
'reply' and 'reply all' work as closely as possible to the non-munged case.

Also note that the development branch is actually quite solid for
production use. It is what we are using for all the python.org lists.