[Mailman-Users] How to get the senders email address in the custom footer?

Arlen Raasch araasch at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 13:58:59 CEST 2015

I have recently acquired the responsibility of maintaining a small
listserver with about 1000 users.

We are using version 2.1.16 of Mailman.

The emails that currently are sent out via the listserv server have headers
that include the original sender's email address as the "From:" address.
Yahoo's and Aol's DMARC policy causes these to bounce as our server is not
one they recognize.

I have seen many posts regarding this problem, but no actual solutions that
told me what I should do.

This is not my area of expertise, just something that dropped in my lap.

A strategy that makes some sense to me is to take ownership of the emails
by identifying the listserv as the From and Reply-To addresses, but
including a custom footer in the email that exposes the actual sender's
email address.

This should avoid Yahoo and Aol rejecting the email due to  DMARC, as Yahoo
and Aol will not be asked for their opinion as to what should or should not
be done with this email.

I set the annonomous_list setting to yes under general options, and sent a
test email.  The email went out fine, but nothing in the default email
footer allowed others to know who actually sent the email out.

I attempted to change the default non-digest footer to include the sender's
address, but did not succeed.  It appears that this info is regarding the
recipient,not the sender's info.  I.E. user xxx at mydomain.com sends to
yyy at listserver.com, zzz at hisdomain.com is also a member of the listserv and
receives an email, but the footer to the email does not show xxx at mydomain,
just info about zzz at hisdomain.com.  I tried the user_address,
user_delivered_to, and user_name variables but none contained info
regarding the sender.

So, the question is how to get the sender's email address in the footer.

Thanks in advance,

-Arlen Raasch