[Mailman-Users] Blocking or holding subscribe requests when email address contains "+"

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Sep 15 20:13:28 CEST 2015

On September 15, 2015 9:33:35 AM PDT, David Gibbs <david at midrange.com> wrote:

>Unfortunately, Mailman sends out the confirmation email before
>requiring approval.  I want to stop (or hold) the subscription request
>before the confirmation message goes out.
>
>Maybe I have to look into a captcha integration?

Recent Mailman has a SUBSCRIBE_FORM_SECRET setting which helps but doesn't stop them all.

Because of these, there is now a GLOBAL_BAN_LIST, but that isn't released yet.

You want a regexp in the ban_list for each list. For the python.org lists we use

I.e., + followed by anything followed by at least 3 digits followed by @.

This has been effective so far.

The bots are doing web subscribe so there's no backscatter from this.

--
Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>
Sent from my Not_an_iThing with standards compliant, open source software.