[Mailman-Users] duplicates

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Oct 26 18:32:28 EDT 2015

On 10/26/2015 02:14 PM, Marco Stoecker wrote:

> I did attach the header from a recent message I got last week. I'm a
> member of a
> list and the sender sent this mail to 5 mailinglists on our server. Each
> member of these 5 lists got 5 messages.
>
> But the email, which I sent last week, with the attachement never made
> it to this list. How can I send the headers instead, cause this email
> would be very long?

I never saw such a message, even in the moderation queue because of size.

You can view the raw message, select all the headers, copy and paste
them into a post.

> Did I understood right, all entry in /var/log/mailman/smtp file are made
> by mailman and in this case it could be an indicator that mailman send
> the email 5 times to each list?

Yes, the smtp log entries indicate each of the 5 lists received 5
messages with message-id <008b01d10ca4$eb5fd0b0$c21f7210$@de>.

Also, delivery from Mailman to Postfix seems slow, but that's a separate
issue and may not be a problem for you.

> And here is the corresponding entry in the /var/log/mailman/smtp file:
>
> Oct 22 10:40:33 2015 (897) <008b01d10ca4$eb5fd0b0$c21f7210$@de> smtp to
> beisitz for 3 recips, completed in 21.833 seconds
> Oct 22 10:41:39 2015 (897) <008b01d10ca4$eb5fd0b0$c21f7210$@de> smtp to
> beisitz for 3 recips, completed in 10.615 seconds
> Oct 22 10:42:32 2015 (897) <008b01d10ca4$eb5fd0b0$c21f7210$@de> smtp to
> beisitz for 3 recips, completed in 10.289 seconds
> Oct 22 10:44:09 2015 (897) <008b01d10ca4$eb5fd0b0$c21f7210$@de> smtp to
> beisitz for 3 recips, completed in 11.101 seconds
> Oct 22 10:44:28 2015 (897) <008b01d10ca4$eb5fd0b0$c21f7210$@de> smtp to
> beisitz for 3 recips, completed in 9.971 seconds

So we know that each list is receiving 5 copies of the message. I'm am
certain this duplication occurs in the MTA delivering to Mailman or
before and not in Mailman itself.

The most helpful information would be the Postfix log entries from
several minutes before Oct 22 10:40:33 2015 up to Oct 22 10:44:28 2015,