[Mailman-Users] The "right" way to reply to a mailing list

Thomas Gramstad thomas at ifi.uio.no
Tue Mar 24 16:59:52 CET 2015

On Tue, 24 Mar 2015, Lucio Chiappetti wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Mar 2015, Thomas Gramstad wrote:
>>  On Mon, 23 Mar 2015, Lucio Chiappetti wrote:
>
>> >  Subscribing in digest mode allows me to receive one
>> >  cumulative post per day
>
> which is something many people can appreciate (at least those
> who subscribe to mailing list, and then complain because they
> are interrupted in their work by too many new mails arriving)

How can mail "interrupt"? Turn off noisy bells and whistles, sort
list mail to their proper folders to be read at a suitable time,
and exercise some work discipline! :)

Mail arrives all the time anyway, so people need to be able to
deal with that.

>> >  A proper MUA shall allow to read each message in the digest
>> >  as if it were a single e-mail (and reply, archive, forward
>> >  etc. etc.).
>>
>>  But people don't have proper MUAs, or if they do, many don't know
>>  how to use them.
>
> Well, sorry, too bad for them ! :-)
>
>>  So if you allow the digest version
>
> Digest version is something the (knowledgeable) user enables in
> the personal setting.

As list owner / moderator I can decide to disable this setting,
which is something many people appreciate, as it prevents hard to
read comments on big "blobs" of text, and dysfunctional Subject:
lines.

> I may agree it would not be a good idea for the list
> administrator to configure a list to send MIME digests *as
> default*, but it is good for users to be able to enable them.

"Well, sorry, too bad for them !" :-)

Thomas Gramstad
thomas at ifi.uio.no