[Mailman-Users] The "right" way to reply to a mailing list

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Tue Mar 24 17:28:42 CET 2015

On 3/24/2015 8:59 AM, Thomas Gramstad wrote:
> How can mail "interrupt"? [...]
> Mail arrives all the time anyway, so people need to be able to deal with that.

Exactly. Mail arrives when it does and I read it when I do. I really don't
know why so many people feel compelled to check each message as it arrives.

I also don't generally understand most people's perceived need for digests*.
IME they only work well when the list is well-moderated, which usually
involved grouping topics and some editing (removing excessive quoting, for
one). I'm on one list that does that and it works nicely, all the rest of my
lists, and there must be 20-30, are individual messages. It works for me.

*also IME these people tend to think 20 total messages a day is a lot of
email, and one digest email of 20 individual messages still only counts as
one in their minds.

There's also a user-discipline issue of replying to mid-thread messages, but
that's another rathole.

Laura- thanks for the discussion of the pre-quoting years.

z!