[Mailman-Users] Help Request Returning Nothing

Dennis Putnam dap1 at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 26 02:17:18 CET 2015

On 1/25/2015 7:39 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 01/25/2015 07:49 AM, Dennis Putnam wrote:
>> This is a bit convoluted. I don't know if this is unique to the CentOS 7
>> implementation or standard but everything is spread out now even more. I
>> found that /usr/lib/mailman/templates no longer exists. That directory
>> contains just a README that says the location was changed to
>> /etc/mailman/templates. In addition, I see there is also an mm_cfg.py in
>> /etc/mailman which is a sym link to /var/lib/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py.
>> Nothing like consistency. Why wasn't the templates directory also a
>> symlink? Sheesh!
>

> See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/KYCB> (these RHEL/CentOS changes
> are now over 10 years old).
Not to be contrary but that was not the case with CentOS 6.  This change
was introduced by CentOS 7 regardless of what that wiki page says.
CentOS 7 is less than a year old.

>> The file /etc/mailman/templates/en/help.txt appears to be correct.
>>> The first help.txt template found is the one being used. What does it
>>> contain?
>
> The file below looks OK, but you should never change a template in
> templates/en/. If you want to make a sitewide change, you should put the
> edited template in templates/site/en/. If you want to make a list
> specific change, you should put the edited template in lists/LISTNAME/en/
Although edited out of this reply, my reply for the first location in
the search order was correct and that is what was posted below.

> See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/jYA9>.
>
> Given that the template seems OK, there may be something wrong with the
> Mailman/Commands/cmd_help.py module itself. Has this been edited?
Not intentionally.
>  Is
> there anything in Mailman's error log relating to these help commands?
No, that would be too easy. :-)