[Mailman-Users] Help Request Returning Nothing

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jan 26 01:39:41 CET 2015

On 01/25/2015 07:49 AM, Dennis Putnam wrote:
> This is a bit convoluted. I don't know if this is unique to the CentOS 7
> implementation or standard but everything is spread out now even more. I
> found that /usr/lib/mailman/templates no longer exists. That directory
> contains just a README that says the location was changed to
> /etc/mailman/templates. In addition, I see there is also an mm_cfg.py in
> /etc/mailman which is a sym link to /var/lib/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py.
> Nothing like consistency. Why wasn't the templates directory also a
> symlink? Sheesh!

See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/KYCB> (these RHEL/CentOS changes
are now over 10 years old).

> The file /etc/mailman/templates/en/help.txt appears to be correct.
>>
>> The first help.txt template found is the one being used. What does it
>> contain?

The file below looks OK, but you should never change a template in
templates/en/. If you want to make a sitewide change, you should put the
edited template in templates/site/en/. If you want to make a list
specific change, you should put the edited template in lists/LISTNAME/en/

See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/jYA9>.

Given that the template seems OK, there may be something wrong with the
Mailman/Commands/cmd_help.py module itself. Has this been edited? Is
there anything in Mailman's error log relating to these help commands?