[Mailman-Users] Impossible to remove mailing lists with ./rmlist

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Feb 13 17:54:38 CET 2015

On 02/13/2015 01:11 AM, Luca Mazzaferro wrote:

> If I do:
>
> /usr/lib/mailman/bin> ./list_lists
> 9 matching mailing lists found:
>        Mailman - The site list
>       Testlist - [no description available]
>     Testlist10 - [no description available]
>     Testlist11 - [no description available]
>      Testlist2 - [no description available]
>      Testlist3 - [no description available]
>      Testlist4 - [no description available]
>      Testlist5 - [no description available]
>      Testlist7 - [no description available]
>
> so now I would remove Testlist10 for example:
>
> /usr/lib/mailman/bin> ./rmlist Testlist10
> Not removing archives.  Reinvoke with -a to remove them.
> testlist10 list info not found as /var/lib/mailman/lists/testlist10
>
> /usr/lib/mailman/bin> ./rmlist testlist10
> Not removing archives.  Reinvoke with -a to remove them.
> testlist10 list info not found as /var/lib/mailman/lists/testlist10
>
> So it is not removed.
> More over:
>
> /usr/lib/mailman/bin> ls -ls /var/lib/mailman/lists/
> total 4
> 4 drwxrwsr-x 2 root mailman 4096 Jan 22 15:25 mailman
>
> But the web interface still show that list and allow me to manage that.

This is a bit of a mystery. My first thought is you have two Mailman
installs and the one in /usr/lib/mailman and /var/lib/mailman is not the
one your web server is accessing. This may be true, but it's more
complicated than that because /usr/lib/mailman/bin/list_lists sees the
lists but /usr/lib/mailman/bin/rmlist thinks lists are in
/var/lib/mailman/lists/ and they aren't there.

How did you create the lists? Via the web or with
/usr/lib/mailman/bin/newlist or ??

Where does your web server look for Mailman CGIs (ScriptAlias in Apache)?

What does 'ls -l /usr/lib/mailman /var/lib/mailman' show?