[Mailman-Users] Email formatting

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Fri Oct 10 18:11:30 CEST 2014

At Fri, 10 Oct 2014 14:25:09 +0000 (UTC) Shannon Doane <s_doane at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've noticed that when I send an email through the mailing list that a lot
> of formatting is stripped away. Particularly bothersome is lost line or
> paragraph breaks. As an example, in an original email there may be a space
> between paragraphs, but when the email gets delivered through mailman those
> line breaks may be removed and there is no space between paragraphs at all.
> Even worse line/paragraph breaks may be removed altogether and everything
> runs on a continuous line with only word wrap occurring.
> Any thoughts on why this happens?

Almost all E-Mail list servers strip off HTML ('Rich Text' or 'Formatted')
mail, since most are using Mailman or some variation of Mailman. Most E-Mail
clients send a multipart-alternitive type message, with a text/plain and a
text/html version of the E-Mail. It is generally possible to set this to
'text/plain' only. And when you compose a text/plain you can put in
'formatting' using typewriter type formatting.

IMHO, HTML E-Mail is evil and seriously bad news. It is a secutity risk,
amongst other evils. *I* use an E-Mail client that neither creates nor handles
HTML E-Mail.

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933