[Mailman-Users] Email formatting

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Fri Oct 10 20:00:15 CEST 2014

At Fri, 10 Oct 2014 16:39:33 +0000 (UTC) Shannon Doane <s_doane at yahoo.com> wrote:

> That makes a lot of sense. I'll create the email in plain text and send it
> through to the email list that way and see how things go.
>
> I wouldn't have thought simple line breaks would have been that difficult to
> translate from html to plain text.

It depends alot on how the composer and the html generator work -- whether the
composer actually carries over line breaks litterally or if it 'reflows' the
text (eg creates a single 'physical' line inside a <p>...</p> tag). And how
much the generated html depends on style attributes. When converting from html
to plain text, things like style attributes can simply be dropped, etc. Also
the original line breaks might be already gone. I guess this is part of what
defines a "particularly bad" HTML => plain text translator... :-) Ultimately,
it is all the 'victim' of a bad WYSIWYG editor, in that what you see is not
really what you get, but some kind of approximation that is implemented in a
'lossey' way (some of the original information is lost).

If you set the composer to compose plain text, many of the issues of the bad
WYSIWYG editor are avoided.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933