[Mailman-Users] 403 Errors with nginx and fcgiwrap

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jun 12 16:47:54 CEST 2013

On 06/11/2013 04:04 PM, Patrick Barrett wrote:
> I'm trying to setup mailman with nginx and fcgiwrap, but I'm getting 403
> errors, well a page that is blank except for the number 403. I can
> access some pages. I can see the listinfo page, the admin page, the
> createlist page, and I can even create lists. But, I get the 403's when
> I go to listinfo/<listname> and the like.

There is nothing in Mailman itself that sends a 403 status. What's in
your web server logs?

> This seems to be an almost identical problem to
> http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users@python.org/msg57843.html but I
> have all the items in my config that that thread says needs to be there.

Except the problem there is the Mailman CGI was actually invoked but not
given all the needed info in the environment. Your problem seems to be
that the web server doesn't even run the CGI script but gives a 403 instead.

> Here is my nginx config: http://pastebin.com/G5A87tEw

which means nothing to me :(

> Also, check_perms comes back with no problems found. (But it did have to
> fix quite a few first and I even had to manually fix a few symlinks that
> it wouldn't fix.)

check_perms has problems with symlinks, but normally these are just
reporting errors as it looks at the permissions on the symlink itself,
but with -f, actually fixes the target. However, this is only an issue
with downstream packages as standard GNU Mailman doesn't install
symlinks other than those in archives/public/.