[Mailman-Users] 403 Errors with nginx and fcgiwrap

Patrick Barrett patrick at mkii.org
Wed Jun 12 17:52:41 CEST 2013

On 06/12/2013 09:47 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 06/11/2013 04:04 PM, Patrick Barrett wrote:
>> I'm trying to setup mailman with nginx and fcgiwrap, but I'm getting 403
>> errors, well a page that is blank except for the number 403. I can
>> access some pages. I can see the listinfo page, the admin page, the
>> createlist page, and I can even create lists. But, I get the 403's when
>> I go to listinfo/<listname> and the like.
>
> There is nothing in Mailman itself that sends a 403 status. What's in
> your web server logs?
>

>> This seems to be an almost identical problem to
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users@python.org/msg57843.html but I
>> have all the items in my config that that thread says needs to be there.
>
> Except the problem there is the Mailman CGI was actually invoked but not
> given all the needed info in the environment. Your problem seems to be
> that the web server doesn't even run the CGI script but gives a 403 instead.
Wouldn't the CGI have to be getting invoked for me to be able to
successfully be able to create new lists?

The log comes back with:
2013/06/12 10:36:19 [error] 6020#0: *347 FastCGI sent in stderr: "Cannot
chdir to script directory (/usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo)" while
reading response header from upstream, client: <myip>, server:
lists.example.org, request: "GET /mailman/listinfo/listname HTTP/1.1",
upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/fcgiwrap.socket:", host: