[Mailman-Users] moderation flag flips off automatically

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jul 11 01:30:52 CEST 2013

On 07/10/2013 04:52 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> I am running a mailing list where I have placed a single
> rogue user under moderation by turning on  the
> moderation flag for this user.  When I leave the interface, go
> back in, the flag is set for the user,  as I want it.
>
> However, each time a mail arrives from the user, the flag
> somehow magically flips itself, the message  goes through,
> and when I check the user data, the moderation flag is off now.

Are you the sole list owner/moderator. If so, change the password(s) and
don't tell anyone the new ones.

> I cannot find out how this is possible - I checked the
> whitelist (that is only for non-members, I think)  and the
> user is not on it.

Yes, accept_these_nonmembers only applies to non members. This can
happen if someone other than you knows a moderator password and is
approving the message and clearing the members moderate flag as part of
the approval.

If I had to guess, I would suspect that the rogue user has learned or
guessed the list moderator password and when he gets the notice that his
message is held, he approves it and clears his mod flag.

Other possibilities are he has an agent doing this for him or another
moderator is doing it innocently.

> Any ideas where I should look for a problem in my settings?

I don't believe it is a problem with settings. I think it is a problem
with someone knowing a password and not behaving as you would wish.

Do the messages that reach the list have an X-Mailman-Approved-At: header?

Is admin_immed_notify Yes and do you get a notice of the held message
before it is delivered to the list?