[Mailman-Users] Delivery error to virtual list

MP Netsai mpn at icabs.co.zw
Thu Dec 19 03:32:34 CET 2013

On 17/12/2013 09:11 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> On 12/16/2013 07:41 PM, MP Netsai wrote:
> > Can someone please point me in the right direction. I have just recently
> > built Mailman for virtual domains. I have followed the guidelines on
> > section 6.2.12 (Virtual Domains)
> > {http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node28.html}.
>

> Those instructions assume you are running a separate Mailman instance
> for each domain. Is this what you want? The more usual case is a single
> instance with the restriction that list names must be globally unique.

What I would rather need to have is a single instance of Mailman handling
several domains with their separate urls. Not sure if that makes any sense?

> > I am using Exim 4.80
> > and Mailman 2.1.14 on a FreeBSD 9.1. The error on trying to deliver
> > message to a created list comes back as "unknown user", eg.
> >
> > exim -bt createdlist at mydomain.com
> > createdlist at mydomain.com is undeliverable: Unknown user
> >
> > I am not sure if my error is on my transport or router configuration.
> > Would very much appreciate some help.
>

> Without seeing your Exim router and transport definitions for Mailman,
> we can't guess what the problem might be.

My current working configuration on the single domain has the following
router:

mailman_router:
driver = accept
require_files = MAILMAN_HOME/lists/$local_part/config.pck
  local_part_suffix_optional
  local_part_suffix = -admin     : \
         -bounces   : -bounces+* : \
         -confirm   : -confirm+* : \
         -join      : -leave     : \
         -owner     : -request   : \
         -subscribe : -unsubscribe
  transport = mailman_transport

and its transport:

mailman_transport:
  driver = pipe
  command = MAILMAN_WRAP \
            '${if def:local_part_suffix \
                  {${sg{$local_part_suffix}{-(\\w+)(\\+.*)?}{\$1}}} \
                  {post}}' \
            $local_part
  current_directory = MAILMAN_HOME
  home_directory = MAILMAN_HOME
  user = MAILMAN_USER
  group = MAILMAN_GROUP

Which according to the instructions I mentioned previously I had changed the
router part as:

require_files =
/virtual/${domain}/mailman/lists/${lc:$local_part}/config.pck

and the transport part:

command = /virtual/${domain}/mailman/mail/mailman \
            ${if def:local_part_suffix \
                 {${sg{$local_part_suffix}{-(\\w+)(\\+.*)?}{\$1}}}
                 {post}} \
              $local_part
  current_directory = /virtual/${domain}/mailman
  home_directory = /virtual/${domain}/mailman

These are the changes I made hoping that they would handle my virtual
domains. That is when I started getting the delivery errors.

>Also, see the note at the beginning of
><http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node16.html>, i.e. follow
><http://www.exim.org/howto/mailman21.html> rather than the Mailman
>installation manual for Exim 4

Noted. I am changing my configs accordingly according to this and see if
there are any changes.

Many thanks,

Netsai.