[Mailman-Users] Delivery error to virtual list

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Dec 17 08:11:04 CET 2013

On 12/16/2013 07:41 PM, MP Netsai wrote:
> Can someone please point me in the right direction. I have just recently
> built Mailman for virtual domains. I have followed the guidelines on
> section 6.2.12 (Virtual Domains)
> {http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node28.html}.

Those instructions assume you are running a separate Mailman instance
for each domain. Is this what you want? The more usual case is a single
instance with the restriction that list names must be globally unique.

> I am using Exim 4.80
> and Mailman 2.1.14 on a FreeBSD 9.1. The error on trying to deliver
> message to a created list comes back as "unknown user", eg.
>
> exim -bt createdlist at mydomain.com
> createdlist at mydomain.com is undeliverable: Unknown user
>
> I am not sure if my error is on my transport or router configuration.
> Would very much appreciate some help.

Without seeing your Exim router and transport definitions for Mailman,
we can't guess what the problem might be.

Also, see the note at the beginning of
<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node16.html>, i.e. follow
<http://www.exim.org/howto/mailman21.html> rather than the Mailman
installation manual for Exim 4