[Mailman-Users] Delivery error to virtual list

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Dec 19 05:10:25 CET 2013

On 12/18/2013 06:32 PM, MP Netsai wrote:

> What I would rather need to have is a single instance of Mailman
> handling several domains with their separate urls. Not sure if that
> makes any sense?

It makes sense, but it carries the restriction that list names must be
globally unique. I.e. if you have a list1 at domain.one, you can't have a
separate list1 at domain.two.

> My current working configuration on the single domain has the following
> router:
>
> mailman_router:
> driver = accept
> require_files = MAILMAN_HOME/lists/$local_part/config.pck
>  local_part_suffix_optional
>  local_part_suffix = -admin     : \
>         -bounces   : -bounces+* : \
>         -confirm   : -confirm+* : \
>         -join      : -leave     : \
>         -owner     : -request   : \
>         -subscribe : -unsubscribe
>  transport = mailman_transport
>
> and its transport:
>
> mailman_transport:
>  driver = pipe
>  command = MAILMAN_WRAP \
>            '${if def:local_part_suffix \
>                  {${sg{$local_part_suffix}{-(\\w+)(\\+.*)?}{\$1}}} \
>                  {post}}' \
>            $local_part
>  current_directory = MAILMAN_HOME
>  home_directory = MAILMAN_HOME
>  user = MAILMAN_USER
>  group = MAILMAN_GROUP

The above router and transport should be OK.

> Which according to the instructions I mentioned previously I had changed
> the router part as:
>
> require_files =
> /virtual/${domain}/mailman/lists/${lc:$local_part}/config.pck
>
> and the transport part:
>
> command = /virtual/${domain}/mailman/mail/mailman \
>            ${if def:local_part_suffix \
>                 {${sg{$local_part_suffix}{-(\\w+)(\\+.*)?}{\$1}}}
>                 {post}} \
>              $local_part
>  current_directory = /virtual/${domain}/mailman
>  home_directory = /virtual/${domain}/mailman
>
> These are the changes I made hoping that they would handle my virtual
> domains. That is when I started getting the delivery errors.

Because these assume each domain has it's own mailman instance in
/virtual/DOMAIN.NAME/mailman and these didn't exist in your case.

In other words, you don't need to change anything in Exim for virtual
domains with a single Mailman instance, but you do need an

add_virtualhost('virtual.web.domain', 'virtual.email.domain')

line in mm_cfg.py for each virtual host in addition to defining the
hosts and their host specific Mailman stuff in the web server.