[Mailman-Users] Reporting messages counts/size by user

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Fri Dec 13 18:12:00 CET 2013

Hi,

This came up on another list I read- is there any relatively simple way to
(a) report individual message activity to a user and (b) temporarily
moderate a user when a count is exceeded?

The first would send an email to the user when they've exceeded a threshold*
in a given period.

*messages to the list, total word count, quoted lines/total size, etc

The second, triggered by the first's info, would set the mod bit for a user
exceeding the limit and send an email that they've been auto-moderated.

I've got some ideas, but not sure where to start with this. Maybe a handler
in the incoming pipeline that does the counts and updates a database (use a
pickle?), then a cron job to leaf through that database, send the warnings,
and set moderation.

The list in question is plain text (html-scrubbed), but I realize that with
the various messages encapsulations used, we may not catch everything, and
that's OK. Also, this list is only a few hundred members, so this doesn't
need to scale out to tens of thousands.

Oh, ya- mailman 2.1.17.

Thanks,

z!