[Mailman-Users] Reporting messages counts/size by user

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Fri Dec 13 18:40:44 CET 2013

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 09:12:00AM -0800, Carl Zwanzig wrote:
> This came up on another list I read- is there any relatively simple
> way to (a) report individual message activity to a user and (b)
> temporarily moderate a user when a count is exceeded?
>
> The first would send an email to the user when they've exceeded a
> threshold* in a given period.
>
> *messages to the list, total word count, quoted lines/total size, etc
>
> The second, triggered by the first's info, would set the mod bit for
> a user exceeding the limit and send an email that they've been
> auto-moderated.
>
> I've got some ideas, but not sure where to start with this. Maybe a
> handler in the incoming pipeline that does the counts and updates a
> database (use a pickle?), then a cron job to leaf through that
> database, send the warnings, and set moderation.

in the past for reporting on lists as a whole. It does, however, do
the list. There may be bits you can use though, for users (or grep out
"their" lines in the output, maybe using `list_members` and a for…
loop).

For the stats on the word count/quoted/sizes, per user, you could
compute that on a regular base, although you may run into issues on
quoting (in particular, the quoting indicator: ^> is not always going
to be accurate.

TBH: it sounds as though you may be trying to solve a social problem,
not a technological one.

--
"What lawyers call intellectual property is
 no more than theft from the public domain."