[Mailman-Users] smtp-failure.log / diagnosing delivery to only some subscribers

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Dec 13 22:14:17 CET 2013

On 12/13/2013 07:55 AM, Christopher Adams wrote:

> I queried my MTA log for the message ID and only came up with 8 out of
> 66 addresses. These were logged as sent.  I assumed that the
> bounces/undeliverables would also show up with the same message ID. Am I
> mistaken? Am I not looking for the right info in the MTA log?

Depending on various settings, Mailman may be sending to multiple
recipients in one SMTP transaction and your MTA may only list one of
these recipients along with the Message-ID.

You need to query your MTA logs for the recipient addresses you are
concerned about and see if those are logged as sent or not. If they are
logged as sent, they may still be bounced by a remote MTA in which case,
that bounce will have a completely different Message-ID, or they may be
discarded by a receiving MTA or diverted to a spam folder.

Other than the advice in the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/4oA9>, all
you can do is provide the intended recipient with your MTA's 'sent' log
message, and the recipient can inquire of her ISP why she didn't receive
the message.