[Mailman-Users] sync_members and "no message" status

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Apr 24 17:24:43 CEST 2013

On 4/23/2013 11:56 PM, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:

> And even if the student empties the mailbox, the address won't be
> enabled, since sync_members never resets the bounce status?
>
> Since I know my student's addresses to be valid, I should probably
> disable "automatic bounce processing", right?

It depends on how much responsibility you want to place on the student.
If you are sure all addresses are valid, i.e., that the source of your
sync_members list has only valid addresses, it would probably be fine to
turn off bounce processing.

On the other hand, if the student's delivery is disabled by bounce due
to a full mailbox and the mailbox is subsequently (partially) emptied,
the student should receive the next bounce_you_are_disabled warning(s)
and can re-enable her own delivery, and if she doesn't, she will
eventually be removed at which point sync_members will put her back with
delivery enabled.

You could adjust bounce processing parameters to make these things
happen faster. I.e., setting bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings to 0 will
unsubscribe the student on the first bounce and then sync_members will
put her back on the next run.

Or setting bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings_interval to 1 will send
daily warnings so the student will receive one within 24 hours of
clearing the mailbox.