[Mailman-Users] sync_members and "no message" status

Ralf Hildebrandt Ralf.Hildebrandt at charite.de
Wed Apr 24 19:18:27 CEST 2013

* Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>:
> On 4/23/2013 11:56 PM, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> >
> > And even if the student empties the mailbox, the address won't be
> > enabled, since sync_members never resets the bounce status?
> >
> > Since I know my student's addresses to be valid, I should probably
> > disable "automatic bounce processing", right?
>

> It depends on how much responsibility you want to place on the student.
> If you are sure all addresses are valid, i.e., that the source of your
> sync_members list has only valid addresses, it would probably be fine to
> turn off bounce processing.

That is the case.

> On the other hand, if the student's delivery is disabled by bounce due
> to a full mailbox and the mailbox is subsequently (partially) emptied,
> the student should receive the next bounce_you_are_disabled warning(s)
> and can re-enable her own delivery, and if she doesn't, she will
> eventually be removed at which point sync_members will put her back with
> delivery enabled.

OK. But on the other hand this would also work with bounces disabled
and the student wouldn't even have to act.

> You could adjust bounce processing parameters to make these things
> happen faster. I.e., setting bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings to 0 will
> unsubscribe the student on the first bounce and then sync_members will
> put her back on the next run.

Good point :)

> Or setting bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings_interval to 1 will send
> daily warnings so the student will receive one within 24 hours of
> clearing the mailbox.
>
> --

Ralf Hildebrandt                   Charite Universitätsmedizin Berlin
ralf.hildebrandt at charite.de        Campus Benjamin Franklin
http://www.charite.de              Hindenburgdamm 30, 12203 Berlin
Geschäftsbereich IT, Abt. Netzwerk fon: +49-30-450.570.155