[Mailman-Users] accessing relay mailman server from its own network

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Apr 15 01:14:32 CEST 2013

On 4/14/2013 10:13 AM, Anne Wainwright wrote:

> I have tried that with partial success, but there is another odd
> unmentioned behaviour that I have/had to cope with.
>
> When I click on a 0-9A-Z link I am dumped outside back at the
> login window. When I log in a second time I am presented with the
> list of members that I wanted in the first place, subsequent
> queries work first time. Similarly when I need to moderate a
> message.

If I understand correctly, this is what's happening in those cases.
You have a /etc/hosts or whatever to direct the 'outside' host to the
'inside' host. You go to the admin or admindb page via an 'inside'
URL (probably a bookmark) and log in. Once there, relative links work
fine. You go to a link with an absolute URL. This points to the
'outside' host which as far as your browser is concerned is not the
host that set the authentication cookie so it is not returned to the
'outside' host and you have to log in again. Once you have logged in
once for each host, you are authenticated for the rest of the browser
session.

The answer is if you have /etc/hosts or whatever routing the 'outside'
host to the 'inside' host, never go to the 'inside' host (fix your
bookmarks to point to the 'outside' host name).

> At the moment removing the 'absolute=1' entries does the job 100%.

If you do notice any issues related to this, please let me know.