[Mailman-Users] accessing relay mailman server from its own network

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Mon Apr 15 19:53:56 CEST 2013

Hi, Mark,

read below.

On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 04:14:32PM -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 4/14/2013 10:13 AM, Anne Wainwright wrote:
> >
> > I have tried that with partial success, but there is another odd
> > unmentioned behaviour that I have/had to cope with.
> >
> > When I click on a 0-9A-Z link I am dumped outside back at the
> > login window. When I log in a second time I am presented with the
> > list of members that I wanted in the first place, subsequent
> > queries work first time. Similarly when I need to moderate a
> > message.
>

> If I understand correctly, this is what's happening in those cases.
> You have a /etc/hosts or whatever to direct the 'outside' host to the
> 'inside' host. You go to the admin or admindb page via an 'inside'
> URL (probably a bookmark) and log in. Once there, relative links work
> fine. You go to a link with an absolute URL. This points to the
> 'outside' host which as far as your browser is concerned is not the
> host that set the authentication cookie so it is not returned to the
> 'outside' host and you have to log in again. Once you have logged in
> once for each host, you are authenticated for the rest of the browser
> session.
>
> The answer is if you have /etc/hosts or whatever routing the 'outside'
> host to the 'inside' host, never go to the 'inside' host (fix your
> bookmarks to point to the 'outside' host name).

I had attacked this by a circuitous route, putting the ip address in the
bookmark because I did not have an entry in /etc/hosts. When I got to
putting an entry in /etc/hosts I did not change the bookmark. So ...

Yes, that is totally correct. I am leaving it like that for the moment
to ensure there are no issues, and I can modify my FAQ 4.88 to reflect
this. Whatever else, for any one implementing a relay server it seems the
best way rather than have them editing away at key coding files.

> > At the moment removing the 'absolute=1' entries does the job 100%.
>

> If you do notice any issues related to this, please let me know.

I will return to this configuration in a short while and will report on
any issues or lack thereof.

thanks for all the time taken

Anne