[Mailman-Users] AOL redacts user addresses even with VERP and full personalization enabled

William Yardley mailman at veggiechinese.net
Wed Jun 20 00:51:36 CEST 2012

On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 11:58:46PM -0500, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
> I have no idea why AOL wants to make it difficult for list
> administrators to unsubscribe people who don't want to be subscribed
> and who complain to AOL about list posts being spam.

To prevent listwashing or retaliation, for one thing, and also to
protect (to some extent) their users' privacy. I think the point of the
FBL is more to alert you to problems on your network, than to assist you
in listwashing. Yes, people will click the "report spam" link by
accident occasionally, but probably not often enough to get you flagged
as a spam source if your lists are genuinely legitimate, and use a
closed-loop confirmation process.

I haven't been on an AOL FBL for a long time, but does the munging in
question remove the queue-ID and message-ID? Otherwise, it should be
very simple to find the subscriber by looking at your own logs.

But honestly, AOL is not the 500 lb gorilla they once were, so I
wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over it.