[Mailman-Users] mailman-to-postfix.py Illegal Invocation errorswhen i put the correct transport

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Sep 14 17:26:23 CEST 2011

Please see the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/OIDD>.

>When i put in the / etc / mailman / transport file:
>lists.domain.com mailman:
>and try to send an email to mailman at domain.com, the mail.log drop me the
>next error:
>
>Sep 14 11:59:46 ws postfix / pipe [20487]: DB5333017C4: to =
><mailman at lists.domain.com>, <mailman at domain.com> orig_to =, relay = mailman,
>delay = 0.5, delays = 0.49 / 0/0/0.01, dsn = 5.3.0, status = bounced
>(command line usage error. Command output: Illegal invocation: '/ usr / lib
>/ mailman / bin / postfix-to-mailman.py lists.domain.com mailman argv = /
>usr / bin / spamc-f-e / usr / sbin / sendmail-oi-f paulweinx at hotmail.com -
>mailman at lists.domain.com 'Did you forget to September
>mailman_destination_recipient_limit = 1 in main.cf ?)

<rant>
postfix_to_mailman.py is a third party module officially unsupported by
the GNU Mailman project. It is used by Debian/Ubuntu for reasons
unknown to me and causes much grief when people come here looking for
help.
</rant>

Note that the above error log message does not come from the
postfix_to_mailman.py that I have seen. It seems to indicate that
postfix_to_mailman.py is being invoked as part of some pipe involving
spamc (Spamassassin) and sendmail, but why this is happening I don't
know, and it would be wrong in any case.

What is the entry in master.cf for the mailman transport? It should be
at least similar to

mailman unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
  flags=FR user=mailman:mailman
  argv=/var/mailman/postfix-to-mailman.py ${nexthop} ${user}

without any extraneous whitespace.

>No matter if i place in mm_cfg.py: MTA = 'Postfix' or MTA = 'None',

MTA = None (no quotes arond None) is appropriate for
postfix_to_mailman.py. MTA = 'Postfix' is for automated generation of
aliases and virtual mappings which is the recommended method for
integrating Postfix with Mailman and is npt compatible with
postfix_to_mailman.py.

> or if
>the file main.cf mydestination postfix leave empty, or put mydestination =
>lists.domain.com, relay_domains or thousands of combinations I could think.
>
>The only way that mailman knows that I am sending an email (and if you do it
>from localhost moderation remains pending, although this is less important
>to me) is putting in the transport file, the following:
>domain.com mailman:

Are you sending your list mail to LISTNAME at lists.domain.com? and not to
LISTNAME at domain.com? postfix_to_mailman.py requires that list
addresses all be qualified by a dedicated domain.