[Mailman-Users] Merging List Administrator with List membership

Syafril Hermansyah syafril at dutaint.co.id
Thu Oct 13 11:57:36 CEST 2011

On 10/13/2011 04:24 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>  > So I speak for them, who has a little knowledge of IT but willing to run
>  > mailing list.
>
> Well, if they have little knowledge of IT, then you should do the
> workflow analysis for them.  It's not a good idea to just do what
> users request, because they don't know what the capabilities are.

That's what I did, I tried to tech them how to manage the mailing list
and some of the result I am declaring here since I also lack of
knowledge of Mailman and Postfix (I was running Listar aka ecartis with
Exim since 2001, they said MailMan less techiest than Listar but too
many hidden menu).

>  > The need of notification for me it just make sure the real list-owner
>  > already did the job after enough learning curve so I can leave it them
>  > alone someday.
>
> That's a different matter.  If the only person who really needs the
> service is you, then I would think you would prefer a periodic summary
> of all lists.

Indeed, actually listar/ecartis give me this kind of notice by adding me
as (hidden) super-admin at any list and enable "daily/weekly report"
(also "diagnostic report"), but I think no need for Mailman do by far,
notices of someone did changes of membership/password is suffice for me,
at least for now.

> I don't think it's possible with the current version of
> bin/show_qfiles, but it shouldn't be too hard to improve that script
> to gather information from lists/*/pending.pck and sort them by time,
> oldest first.  Then you know which lists haven't been moderated for
> quite a long time, and need attention.  Then run that cron job daily
> (I would think that's enough for the kind of list you describe).
>
> I'm sorry I don't have the time to do it, though.  Maybe somebody
> already has such a script?

I don't have programming knowledge, so I can not do that myself :-(
Anyhow, thanks for your attention

--
syafril
-------