[Mailman-Users] Error when e-mailing a list: User unknown invirtual alias table

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Jul 31 20:19:50 CEST 2011

Tom Browder wrote:

>I get this message when posting to my new lists:
>
>Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:
>
>    news at mydomain.org
>
>Technical details of permanent failure:
>Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the
>recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for
>further information about the cause of this error. The error that the
>other server returned was: 550 550 5.1.1 <news at mydomain.org>:
>Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table (state
>14).
>
>The Mailman docs (specifically /etc/mailman/postfix-to-mailman.py)
>says that I don't have to set up virtual aliases:

postfix-to-mailman.py is not a part of standard GNU mailman. It is part
of the Debian/Ubuntu Mailman package, but whether it is properly
installed by default is a Debian/Ubuntu packaging question.

># -join, -leave, -subscribe and -unsubscribe addresses. It will
># recognize a list as soon as the list is created, there is no need to
># add _any_ aliases for any list.  It recognizes mail to postmaster,
>
>but is that really true?

It is if Postfix is properly configured to use a 'mailman' transport
that invokes postfix-to-mailman.py for all mail to the Mailman list
domain.

It is clear from the above error message that 'mydomain.org' is a
virtual alias domain in Postfix and is not mapped to a 'mailman'
transport. You can either configure Postfix to use
postfix-to-mailman.py per the documentation which may or may not be
provided by Debian/Ubuntu or configure Postfix/Mailman integration per
<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node12.html>.